Wills Bros Ltd. have been appointed by North Yorkshire County-Council as the design and build Contractor for the A684 Bedale, Aiskew and Leeming Bar Bypass, known as BALB. The project comprises of 4.8km of new single carriageway road, split approximately in half by the existing A1(M).
The road connects the existing A684 to the north of Bedale, at a point adjacent to Bedale Golf Club, to a point on the existing A684 to the east of Leeming Bar, approximately 175m east of Holmfield Farm. The road connects to the existing Junction 51 of the A1(M), taking advantage of the existing roundabouts and structures at that location. Principal features of the project are:
- Three new roundabouts (Bedale, Leases Road and Leeming Bar)
- Two new rail bridges, both crossing the Wensleydale Railway, one of which crosses Bedale Beck
- All highway works in relation to the scheme, including tie-ins to the Highways Agency’s network at the A1(M) Junction 51
- Diversion / realignment / stopping up of local roads affected by the works
- Three balancing ponds
- Accommodation Works for adjacent landowners
- Diversion and protection of all affected services and statutory undertakers equipment with the exception of the Northern Powergrid 33kV power lines at approximate chainages 640 and 2300
We will update this site periodically with general information on progress, our twitter feed @BALBProject will be updated more regularly with information regarding traffic management and other such public interfaces.
Please click here to follow our latest updates.